2012年8月21日 星期二

Sew a Maxi Dress for Yourself - Super Simple & Easy


I recently have more time to practice sewing.  I don't know how to make pattern myself, but I personally think you don't need to learn pattern making unless you want to persuade a profession in design / tailoring.  Patterns are so easy to find on the internet, some for free and some cost a little bit of money.

I made this maxi dress myself without using a pattern in just a few hours:


I didn't take any picture while making the dress so now I can only explain how I made this dress in words -- it's easy:

1.  cut out a piece of light weight fabric around 60 inch x 65 inch - mine was a piece of cotton, very soft and thin.

2.  fold the fabric at the 60 inch direction, cut out the upper fabric 10-15cm wide to be the upper ruffle of the dress. Then you have a big piece fabric for the body of the dress, and a small piece for the ruffle.

3.  separately sew each of the fabric to become like a tube, I mean it's like a tube ;)

4. sew the edge at the bottom of the fabric -- fold a 0.5cm wide then fold again, and then iron the edge, then sew the edge.  Do the same to the bottom of the ruffle fabric.  Now that you have two pieces of "tubes" to be ready to put together to become one dress.

5. sew a elastic strap (use the one that is around 0.5cm wide, and the strap should be just right to hold the dress to your upper chest) to the upper body of the dress -- also where the ruffle will end up being attached to.  It can be a bit challenging to sew the dress to the strap, as the elastic strap is smaller, when I sew I have to pull and expand it to match the dress.  A tip to easy attach the strap is to stitch the edge and fold the strap into the dress first, then you can sew -- be careful not to sew the fabric to the strap to allow the free movement of the elastic strap.

6. now that we can sew the ruffle to the to of the dress, it's similar method to step 5 -- you basically stitch the ruffle of the dress first -- remember to hid the edge by folding it inside.  Actually I sew the ruffle twice to secure the seam.

7. you will need a belt to make the maxi dress look fit.  Then you finish this super easy maxi dress.


Click here to shop for maxi dress!



沒有留言:

張貼留言